Saturday

11/05 - Foster (film) - WARNING, HEARTBREAKING!

Okay, first and foremost if you want to watch this film I wont stop you, it's a great story.. BUT it's the saddest film I've seen this year and had someone warned me of the plot I wouldn't have watched it. I'll tell you now, there will be spoilers, I'm basically going to outline the whole film so if you do plan on watching it do not read on because the beauty is in the twists!

If you're still with me grab a tissue because I'm about to take you on an emotional roller coaster! When the film began I knew it would be a little teary, the leading couple couldn't conceive 'since the accident' and were obviously unhappy, there were money troubles etc etc, you get the picture. They visit an orphanage and meet an abnormally articulate child they like who likes them. He turns up on their doorstep with all the right paperwork, they check it out with the agency only to discover the lady who usually deals with these things has had a fall and isn't available.. but the paperwork checks out, is signed and the rest. So the boy comes home with them, fixes all of their problems, takes them to Legoland and calls them Mum and Dad. There's a room nobody is allowed to go in which leads me to believe she lost a baby when they had this 'accident' that's referred to but you assume the boy will heal her and so on. You feel the story heading for a happy ending UNTIL you find out the accident wasn't theirs it was that of their five year old son who DIED and you then see clips/photos of said boy.. I was crying so much by this point I couldn't breath. It went from sunshine and lollipops to gut wrenching agony in about 30 seconds and absolutely killed me. This is the reason for this post.. if you have kids or are just one of those people (like me) who cries at everything don't watch this unless you're prepared and are preferably on your own to blubber as loudly as you like. I was silently sobbing at my keyboard trying to hide it from my husband who I also spotted dabbing his eyes from then on out. Long story short they get pregnant, find out the boy was an angel and never actually existed and every picture of him is now blank.. kind of creepy, Richard E Grant also plays a small angelic roll as a local vagrant but it's really the boy that steals the show and if it wasn't for the horrendously sad storyline I would absolutely recommend you watch it as he is just great in it but just thinking about it now I could relapse so I'll end it there. 

I'd never heard of the film til I saw it on Sky.. I don't think this kind of thing makes for a box office hit to be honest but the cast and story is great if not horribly grim. I thought it was safe to regurgitate the plot as few of you are likely to see it anyway but apologies if you didn't read the warning and I totally ruined the movie for you. You could kind of see it coming with the boy though.. I knew he was magic 5 minutes in but I didn't expect him to disappear in the night after they'd grown attached to him.. oh there I go again *sob*...

Feel free to leave your own sad film warnings below

2 comments:

  1. Sounds horrific! I'm like you and will never purposefully watch a sad film. Top of my list for tear jerkers was 'Ponette' - a French film about a little girl of about 5 losing her mother. You have this poor child going through the grieving process, sobbing and trying to understand death! That's all the film is about. I felt traumatised after watching it. I cried so hard. Brad Pitt had mentioned in an interview how good this child actress was and i was curious. I wish i'd never watched it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved the movie!watched it yesterday cause i saw this post!x

    ReplyDelete