Saturday

16/02 - Easy Cheesy Scones


This is actually a repost from my cooking blog. I made these this afternoon for Lee who is feeling under the weather so I thought I would share the recipe as it is easy peasy (cheesy) and requires ingredients you will likely have lying around anyway. I was actually inspired by the blog I posted about yesterday, she wrote today about cheese and bacon muffins and I reached for the most similar recipe in my arsenal but if you're interested you can read hers here (it's gluten free too!)

***

02/11/11


I was sitting here contemplating what to make for lunch when a dazzler of an idea popped in to my head... SCONES! Now I've never made scones before but I figured... how hard can it be, right? I read a few recipes and simplified it down to include the bare essentials. If I added anything "weird" my child wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and I was hoping I could pass these off as her after school snack.



So here's the recipe I used


8oz Self Raising Flour

Pinch of Salt

2oz Butter (lurpack is my brand of choice)

1oz Cheese (stronger the better.. mine was mild so I used more like 2oz to compensate)

150ml Milk (and a little for glazing the top before baking)






Rub in the butter, flour and salt until it looks something like the above picture. If you're less inclined to get your hands dirty (like me) you can do nearly all of this with a spoon






Add the milk and mix 'til it starts to look doughy






mix in the cheese... fairly self explanatory but make sure it's evenly distributed






Roll the dough to about 2cms thick (I used the palm of my hand... couldn't be bothered having to wash the rolling pin) and cut your disks. I used a cookie cutter but a glass would do the job.

Brush milk on the top of your doughy discs and put them in your preheated (220c) oven for 10-12 mins. If you do them a little thick it may take longer but after 12 mins mine were cooked through, golden brown and DELICIOUS might I add. Most recipes advise to cool on a rack but i ate them directly from the tray as I was feeling peckish... if you don't have a rack... it's not the end of the world! Scones are in the comfort food "family" for me so the stodgier the better.. they don't need to be perfect and crisp but I was pretty pleased with how they turned out for my first attempt. They took around 15mins to make so within half an hour of embarking on this task they were ready.


YUM!





Give them a go yourself!


Miss BB

No comments:

Post a Comment